Sunday, April 24, 2016

Successfully camping at 6 months... BOO YA!!!

It all started at 5 something in the morning when the wind started blowing super hard... 
wait... wait... wait...

A few days ago I got a call. Went something like "I know you didn't want Reed to go camping with the guys last time, but Karianne and I are going camping, and if you're not busy, you should come." Okay, so it was a lot longer conversation, and the whole time I mumbled things like "oh, okay..." "well I'll talk to Reed"... never anywhere in that conversation did I sound like I was going to go at all. After thinking for the next hour about it I figured being outdoors would be good for me, and I could brag about successfully camping while 6 months pregnant! I also figured Reed would love it, and so I gave my brother our confirmation. 

Friends at work warned about some storm coming in, but then looking at the weather figured we were safe since it wasn't supposed to rain until the middle of the afternoon.

We were having a jolly time, bunch of the family came up to eat and hang out. 
Look- this is the gang having a jolly time! Reed is clearly having the jolliest of times.


 Reed, Tanner, and I stayed up until 12:30 chatting after everyone left. Tanner then started throwing everything in the truck. It's like he knew the doom we were about to face 5 hours later. I sat staring at him as he put chairs in the car, wondering why. Whatever, I followed suit and threw mine in too.

Being pregnant I've had a lot of charley horses lately. So 1:30 in the morning I woke up spazzing. Trying to wake up Reed, but not being able to make a peep because we were sharing a large tent with Tanner, Karianne, and their well-versed in camping 2 year old. That was adventurous. I was whispering "I wanna die, I wanna die!" Looking back, it was quite humorous. But I didn't wake them! Maybe it was that super sound proof divider between us.

The bathroom could have been a major struggle, squatting with very little balance. The boys got me a mini porta potty. nice. Even nice at 4:45 in the morning when I had to crawl out of my tent and use it. Weather was perfect. It was nice and pretty warm.

Unfortunately I couldn't fall asleep afterwards. I was tempted to get up and make a fire just to chill at, but figured I should wait until at least 6 for that. Wait for the sunlight, I guess.

Around 5:30 out of NO WHERE the wind started blowing horribly. All of us laid there waiting for it to pass, but it wasn't... Soon the wind was pulling up the top cover far enough that dirt was falling through the top of the mesh part of the tent. At that point we heard Tanner up and Reed got up to help him with whatever he was going to do. The wind got so bad that Tanner told us to get in the car. Mind you, the whole time I sat waiting for this 2 year old to cry, as I was curling in a ball, scared out of my mind that we were all going to fly away. She doesn't even make a peep! We grab our belongings, for me it was the phone and a blanket, and of course Karianne grabbed the toddler. makes sense.

We watched as Reed and Tanner frantically deflated the air mattresses so they wouldn't blow away, and meanwhile, little Norah is still chipper as can be. HOOOWWW?! Soon the tent looked like this:



This poor brand new tent! Do you see this madness?! I will admit, as the tent was caving in on us on that side, I started holding the side... As if it was going to help? I don't even know where my thought process was. Good thing I gave up, because it would have been worthless. Yeah, that's a rip from the bottom to the top. Not a door. Poor little thing :(

Tanner and Reed were troopers! They packed up the whole camp and we were on the road within 30 minutes. Which is a good thing, because by this time it had started raining too.

We gathered back at their house where we sorted, cleaned, and packed everything correctly, and Karianne cooked us breakfast. While Norah so cutely kept asking "What happened?" ha!

The day just got better. We got home and showered and I was so tired that I slept from 9-noon. Reed slept till 11, got out of bed, played video games, and went back to bed. I got out of bed for about an hour and then joined him again. We laid there groggy and trying to figure out how to start the day...

By 2 we started brainstorming places that might deliver caffeine to us. How could we possibly start the day without it? I don't quite remember how I forced myself out, threw my hair up and put eyeliner on, but I managed. We got a lot done by the end of the day.

One more brag thing besides the fact that I survived a baller night of camping... I found a chair for the nursery! We had been saving up to buy a glider. They're the cheapest little rocking chairs you can get. We planned on 140-200 dollars on this wooden thing that I was excited about, but probably wouldn't be comfortable to sleep in during the middle of the night. The only thing I couldn't decide on was color. So... Knight's Furniture is conveniently going out of business... bad for them, but fabulous for us! We were reminded of it as we were driving. So we decided to check it out. Then... fate... This chair! Originally close to 600 dollars, was marked for 150! And it rocks and reclines, and it's so soft, and it's perfect! We didn't bat an eye, we bought it. I'm not the least bit sorry. God loves us. :)

We are going to try that camping thing again, and then maybe next month I'll get to brag about successfully camping at 7 months pregnant, Guess we will see! 

No comments:

Post a Comment