Thursday, March 31, 2016

What is this thing people call pregnancy?

I have contemplated long and hard about if, what, and when I should write my next blog...
I first wanted to post the picture we took the day we found out we were having a baby. I love this picture because Reed is just squeezing me, so excited, and we couldn't stop smiling all day long!

Second... we're having a boy! Holy cow! I have always wanted a boy first! I always loved having a big brother, and thought every girl should have one. Therefore, always wanted a boy first. I'll admit, I totally thought it was a girl. My family was split about half and half on what he was. I have debated long and hard whether or not to tell my story of finding out, because it's a legit reason to judge me forever and ever, but hey, what the heck?

We expected to find out at 21 weeks what we were having. We didn't want to pay more to find out early. At our 16 week appointment the doctor asked if we wanted to know what it was going to be. We told him we didn't want to pay extra, so we'd wait. Well he's super cool and said "well I'm already doing the ultrasound, so I won't charge you to tell you... if you want." So we agreed. I was so excited! (NOTE: About a week prior to that appointment I had a dream we were having a boy. Then in my dream when I found out, I cried and was so upset.) Yeah... so he tells us we're having a boy in real life and I freeze. I just laid there not saying anything. Reed was so excited, saying "are you sure?!" yes, he was sure. All I could respond was a very mellow voice, trying to sound happy "oh, it's a boy." As I sat there trying not to cry, wishing the appointment would finally end, I couldn't believe I was so sure he was a girl. The only time I ever wanted a girl first was after I got pregnant. Why did I care so much now?

Well we finally leave, and Reed wanted to do the chromosome test, or whatever it was, so we headed to the lab for blood work. Reed kept asking me what was wrong, begging me to talk, and I kept silent. Finally after the blood work was all done, as we walked back to the car, I burst. I bawled the whole 20 minutes home from the doctor. Not just a small whimper, a big ugly cry. I told Reed we couldn't tell anyone he was a boy, until I calmed down and got excited about it. I had Reed give me a blessing that night, and the next day all that was coming to my mind was all the amazing things about having a boy first. All the things Reed can teach him, the sports he can go to with dad, and his cousin will be 2 months older than him, so they can be best friends. How fun will that be?! It's hard to think how sad I was when I found out, because I don't want him any other way now. I just want my baby boy. We just can't agree on a name, like we could for a girl. Minor details.

Our 21 week appointment was awesome! Everything with our baby is perfect. The doctor doing the sonogram kept telling us that. Along with "he's tall right now" and "wow, he's a chunk". hahaha! My regular doctor told me I am "the postcard for perfect pregnancies". If this is a perfect pregnancy, and it's still hard... wow... my poor sisters who dealt and are dealing with rough ones... and all you other mommies who had it hard... I'm sorry. I can't imagine.

Pregnancy isn't what I ever expected. I feel swarmed with thoughts, constantly...
-This is hard
-How in the world can I be this tired?
-Why am I never full?
-How do people do this multiple times?
-Sometimes when this kid kicks, it startles me.
-I think he's turning inside me in ways he shouldn't... he feels horizontal, not vertical. ouch.
-Oh dear... so many unwanted bodily functions...
-I'm sick of going to the bathroom

And I'll admit, some of the sentimental ones...
-If I rub my belly can he feel it and know I'm saying hello?
-He's got so much energy now, I can't wait to meet him and his fun personality
-I hope he likes me

We may only be 23 weeks along right now, but Reed is so excited that we have getting lots of stuff done already! Also I'm a freak, so I like the idea of being as prepared as I can, since as soon as he comes, I won't be prepared for what's happening at all. So material items I can prepare.

Reed braced this thing all nice and sturdy, and I spent 4.5 hours sanding and painting this old ugly changing table we bought off KSL...
I also decided I wanted to be ambitious and make a blanket! I picked out fabric... that's as far as I got...


 We bought a cute little crib that Reed put together a few weeks ago...
And Reed's parents spoiled us with a stroller and car seat combo! We're pretty stoked to try it out!

Last but not least, we found it only fitting to get baby Allred an Easter basket and surprise. His is on the left.

So, turns out I thought I wanted a girl when I got pregnant... but I can't imagine having anything other than my little boy :)

1 comment:

  1. I sooo know how you feel! I was 110% sure I was having a boy! I had prepared myself for this fact. At 7 mos when we had an ultrasound we were referring to the baby as HE, Him ,our little guy and the nurse seems worried and asked me "Are you sure you don't want to know the sex?" Doug and I had decided to wait until the baby was born to find out. I asked Doug and he said ok. So the doctor said I am 99.9% sure you are having a little girl! I was shocked! I had felt I was having a little boy since I found out I was pregnant! I mourned the loss of a son I never had. I look back now and I am grateful to have had a few months to re-think about my coming daughter. I was raised in a family of 6 kids, 5 of which were girls! My Heavenly Father knows me and loves me and He knew I would need a daughter and a friend in this life!

    ReplyDelete